Funding Your Degree


The Cost of Your Graduate Degree in Social Work

The U of A Treasurer’s Office provides up-to-date information on the average cost of attendance and an individualized tuition and fees calculator. Contact their office directly with questions concerning your in- or out-of-state tuition status.



Graduate Assistant (GA) Positions

The School of Social Work has a limited number of GA positions available each year.  These positions may involve teaching support, research, or administrative support, working directly with one or more faculty members for up to 20 hours per week and include a tuition waiver and stipend. (The percent of tuition and stipend amount varies; see the Graduate School website for more information).  To qualify, a student must be regularly admitted to the Graduate School and admitted to the MSW program without conditions.   See the following for instructions on how to apply for GA positions in the School of Social Work.  

The Graduate Assistant Application is available through the Graduate School. 


Teaming for Transition: Preparation for Work and Community
Scholar grant funded by the US Department of Education - Office of Special Education Programs to 
start Summer 2023. This includes the following support:

•  Free 36 credit hours of tuition (excluding fees) towards completion of a Master’s degree in 
Special Education, Social Work, or Counseling (Vocational Rehabilitation, School Counseling)
•  Completion of a Graduate Certificate in Special Education Transition Services
•  Book stipend of $500 over the two years of study
•  Travel support for related professional development
•  All T4T Courses are online
•  Special Education and Social Work courses are online
•  Cohort model provides additional support throughout coursework
•  More information about Teaming for Transition Grant can be found here:

Application for Teaming for Transition funding is open until January 31st.


Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Scholarship


The HRSA Scholarship Program is designed to provide up to $2.87 million in scholarship funds (2020-2025) to up to 37 full-time, MSW Program students per academic year (August 15-May 15) to offset graduate school tuitions. HRSA Scholars receive $15,000 ($7,500 per semester) in scholarship funds per academic year. MSW Students can apply for HRSA Scholarship funds for two years. Scholarship funds are distributed through the UA Financial Aid Office to student university accounts. Any funds left over after paying tuition and fees will be refunded to the student by the Financial Aid office.  




According to federal guidelines, HRSA Scholarship recipients must be U.S. citizens or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Federated States of Micronesia. HRSA Scholars who demonstrate financial need or geographic/environmental need in their application are eligible to apply for the HRSA Scholarship – award decisions are based on the level of need.


Full-time MSW Program applicants who are accepted to the MSW Program will be invited to apply for HRSA Scholarship funds. Completed applications are due by May 1st and applicants will be notified of their awards by the end of May.


Please contact Dr. Marcia Shobe with HRSA Scholarship questions at



On the Graduate School website see “Funding Your Degree” for information on grants, scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships.

Graduate Assistant Positions

Students admitted to the Graduate School and the MSW program may also apply for GA positions in other departments and offices on campus.  For more information, go to

Benjamin Franklin Lever Tuition Fellowship

Administered by the Graduate School, this fellowship is designed to increase diversity within degree programs by providing financial assistance to graduate students from underrepresented groups.” 



Office of Financial Aid

Academic Scholarship Office

Information on military educational benefits, military scholarships and the Veteran’s Resource Center.

Arkansas Alumni Association Scholarships

The Latino Alumni Society Scholarship is available to graduate and undergraduate UA students.



Federal Student Aid (U.S. Department of Education)

Provides information on federal financial aid programs for graduate and professional degree students, including loans, grants and loan repayment programs.



Professional Organizations – Social Work

National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Foundation

Consuelo W. Gosnell Memorial Scholarship

Verne LaMarr Lyons Scholarship

Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)

Carl A. Scott Book Scholarship


External Scholarships/Fellowships

American Association of University Women Fellowships and Grants

Hispanic Scholarship Fund

American Indian Graduate Center 


Loan Repayment Programs

National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP)

The National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP) offers fully trained and licensed clinical social workers (LCSW) $50,000 to repay student loans in exchange for two years serving in a community based site in a high-need Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) that has applied to, and been approved by, the NHSC as a service site.

Indian Health Services (IHS) Loan Repayment Program

MSW prepared clinical social workers, employed by the IHS, are eligible to apply for the IHS Loan Repayment Program. For more information, visit the IHS website.